marque

*** Chào mừng bạn đang ghé thăm trang web An Phong An Bình***

Thứ Tư, 25 tháng 3, 2015

Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey, on Revisiting the Banks of the Wye During a Tour, July 13, 1798*: (Nature and the poet)

William Wordsworth** (1770 – 1850)                          

“. . .I cannot paint
What then I was. The sounding cataract
Haunted me like a passion: the tall rock,
The mountain, and the deep and gloomy wood,
Their colors and their forms, were then to me
An appetite; a feeling and a love,
That had no need of a remoter charm,
By thought supplied, nor any interest
Unborrowed from the eye.—That time is past,
And all its aching joys are now no more,
And all its dizzy raptures. Not for this
Faint I, nor mourn nor murmur, other gifts
Have followed; for such loss, I would believe,
Abundant recompense. For I have learned
To look on nature, not as in the hour
Of thoughtless youth; but hearing oftentimes
The still, sad music of humanity,
Nor harsh nor grating, though of ample power
To chasten and subdue. And I have felt
A presence that disturbs me with the joy
Of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime
Of something far more deeply interfused,
Whose dwelling is the light of setting suns,
And the round ocean and the living air,
And the blue sky, and in the mind of man;
A motion and a spirit, that impels
All thinking things, all objects of all thought,
And rolls through all things. Therefore am I still
A lover of the meadows and the woods,
And mountains; and of all that we behold
From this green earth; of all the mighty world
Of eye, and ear,—both what they half create,
And what perceive; well pleased to recognize
In nature and the language of the sense,
The anchor of my purest thoughts, the nurse,
The guide, the guardian of my heart, and soul
Of all my moral being…”

Foot notes:
  To read the summary of this poem: http://www.shmoop.com/tintern-abbey/summary.html
**William Wordsworth:
He was born in 1770, in Cumberland, England. He attended St John’s College,  Cambridge from 1787 to 1791. He married Mary Hutchinson in 1802 at the age of 32.
He published The excursion in 1814, followed by The white Doe of Rylstone in 1815, Peter Bell in 1819 and Benjamin the Waggoner in 1817.

He died on 23rd April 1850 at the age of 80 in Rydal Mount, Westmoreland, England.